Location: Downtown Toronto
Start Date: ASAP
Want to Change the World?
Rumie is an award-winning Toronto-based startup that is revolutionizing global education by using low-cost, innovative technology to bring free digital education to some of the least developed parts of the world – from remote Guatemalan villages and Canadian indigenous communities to Syrian refugee camps. to Syrian refugee camps.
Job and Program Description
We are looking for a multi-talented Visual Designer who will own both Rumie’s design strategy and design implementation of our marketing materials and software solutions. This position provides an opportunity to work on a wide array of creative digital projects, from initial concept development through to final execution. If you are passionate about design and want to work on a variety of projects of social and creative importance, this could be the perfect role for you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Manage and design all marketing materials (print and digital)
- Understand client and user needs and interface with product team to help define and sketch new potential features and products
- Design and maintain Rumie.org WordPress website and Rumie’s LearnCloud website
- Develop UI design for Rumie’s website and offline software solutions
- Create video and static content for web, emails, social communities, and Google Slides presentations
- An entrepreneurial mindset with a commitment to and enthusiasm for Rumie’s mission
- 2+ years of relevant visual design experience
- Excellent illustration and graphics design skills
- Experience with design software such as: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, PowerPoint/Google Slides, Sketch, Zeplin
- Website design experience
- Mobile app design experience (Android/iOS)
- Branding experience (icon development, logo development)
- Experience developing highly readable charts and flow diagrams
- Experience and knowledge of current trends in design patterns
- Ability to provide fitting interpretations and deliver results despite complex and ambiguous circumstances
- Able to act as an owner and work independently, managing concurrent projects simultaneously
- Strong interest and understanding of user research and testing
- Understanding of modern HTML/CSS and frameworks like Bootstrap
- Experience with WordPress or other CMS
- Understanding of human-centered design and lean development best practices
- Experience with rapid prototyping
- Experience working closely with product and development teams
- Familiarity with software development tools like Git, JIRA
Why join our team?
- You will contribute to making education free and accessible to anyone around the world.
- We recently won the Google Impact Challenge and we were named the “World’s Best Social Startup” by Global Entrepreneurship Week.
- Funders and Supporters include Y Combinator/Imagine K12 in Silicon Valley, WISE (World Innovation Summit for Education), and some of the most prominent CEOs in North America.
- We are located at the Ryerson DMZ, named as one of the world’s leading startup incubators. The DMZ has free breakfast, coffee, fruit, and snacks… (not to mention Wednesday Pancake Breakfasts and Scotch Fridays.)
- We’re an effective, creative, and resourceful team that works hard and plays hard.
- Our employees get health benefits, flexible hours, and vacation.
- We’re growing extremely fast (from 0 to 20 countries in a few years) and show no signs of stopping.
How to Apply
- Please send your resume, link to your portfolio, and a cover letter to email@example.com
- In your cover letter, please outline:
- Why you feel you are a good fit for this role;
- A time you worked with a team on a design project; and
- What excites you about joining Rumie