Location: Downtown Toronto
Start Date: ASAP
Want to Change the World?
Rumie is an award-winning Toronto-based startup that is revolutionizing global education by using low-cost, innovative technology to bring free digital education to some of the most underserved parts of the world – from remote Guatemalan villages and Canadian Indigenous communities to Syrian refugee camps.
Rumie’s approach starts with the LearnCloud – an online repository of high quality, digital, educational content which is crowdsourced in different languages and for different contexts. Rumie then works with on-the-ground partners to select relevant learning materials and load that content onto the specialized Rumie Tablet or any personal Android device via the Rumie App for offline use. The Tablet and App collect ongoing anonymized usage analytics (even when offline) on what content is being viewed and for how long. This allows Rumie’s local partners to evaluate the content, iterate and measure impact.
Rumie is backed by the Silicon Valley accelerator that also produced Airbnb and Dropbox (Y-Combinator), is based at Canada’s #1 incubator (DMZ), and won the Google Impact Prize in 2017 and 2018.
Rumie is looking for a VP, Engineering that will lead our daily technology operations. Reporting to the COO, the VP, Engineering will lead all initiatives related to the development of technology systems and infrastructure across Rumie’s product offerings.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Help build, lead, and mentor a great software development team to deliver world-class products
- Work with the business as a strategic partner to align products to needs of current and future customers
- Create and maintain technical specifications for product features, and estimate time and complexity to build
- Establish, document, manage, and maintain an effective Development Process in conjunction with Product Management and Developers
- Follow technology trends to provide strategic input from a technical perspective
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the engineering and management teams
- Coach developers and technical leads to build scalable and high-quality solutions
- 10+ years of hands-on software development, preferably including prior experience with Android, PHP, MySQL and/or similar technologies
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science
- Strong leadership experience within a software development team
- Lean and Agile development experience
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Deep understanding of how culture and group dynamics create exceptional teams
- Ability to learn fast and understand new technologies
- Flexible and able to work collaboratively as a part of a growing organization
- A commitment to and enthusiasm for Rumie’s mission
Why join our team?
- You will contribute to making education free and accessible to anyone around the world
- We recently won the Google Impact Challenge and we were named the “World’s Best Social Startup” by Global Entrepreneurship Week
- Funders and Supporters include Y Combinator/Imagine K12 in Silicon Valley, WISE (World Innovation Summit for Education), and some of the most prominent CEOs in North America
- We are located at the Ryerson DMZ, named as one of the world’s leading startup incubators. The DMZ has free breakfast, coffee, fruit, and snacks… (not to mention Wednesday Pancake Breakfasts and Scotch Fridays)
- We’re an effective, creative, and resourceful team that works hard and plays hard
- Our employees get health benefits, flexible hours, and vacation
- We’re growing extremely fast (from 0 to 20 countries in a few years) and show no signs of stopping
How to Apply
- Please send your resume, link to your portfolio, and a cover letter to email@example.com
- In your cover letter, please outline:
- Why you feel you are a good fit for this role; and
- What excites you about joining Rumie